Router is among the most valued woodworking power tools in the market. The router will enable you to create contours and corners in the wood pieces with lots of ease. In case you have just purchase a router, it is important that you know how to use a router table safely.
However, it is important to note that despite working with the router seems to be easy, it can be quite dangerous and can lead to serious accidents if not handled with care. Some of the dangers associated with router accidents include: carbide flying bits, throwing bits and snapping shanks. Apart from errors from users, these dangers can easily lead to poor quality router and bits.
In this article, we will help you know how to use a router table.
How to Use a Router Table
Before you start using a router table, you need to first put on personal protective equipment. This comprises of hearing protection, eye protection and respirator to help in protecting the lungs.
You need to work cautiously and follow the manufacturer’s instructions for both the router and the router table.
Choose Router Bit
- You will have to select a bit having a corresponding profile with the cut type you want to make. The profile refers to the cutting edge shape.
- The bits range from straight cutting bits that are used for cutting grooves all the way to decorative bits like the ogee and cove with guide bearing and pilot bearing. Pilot bearing will always follow the work piece edge.
- Ensure you select the bit with the correct size shank for the router. Shank refers to the bit end that is held in position by the collet. The collet helps in holding the bit in the router.
- Ensure the shank properly fits into the router collet. The collet will accept shank measuring ¼ inch or ½ inch. There are routers which come with collets that can be removed and can accept ¼ inch and ½ inch shank bits.
Change the router bit
- It is important that you always unplug the router before you change the bit.
- Thereafter, insert bit until cutting edge gets to the collet and remove the bit out for up to ¼ inch. Thereafter tighten the collet using your finger.
- It is highly advisable that you always let 1/8 inch space between the collet and the bit.
We hope you now know how to use a router bit and can operate it without lots of stress or difficulties.
How to Use a Router as a Wi-Fi Extender
Just like on how to use a router edge guide, using the router as a Wi-Fi extender works in the same way. One of the easiest ways you can use a router as an extender is by connecting it to the main router using Ethernet cable. The phrasing and the design use for the router features and setting can vary from one model to another.
Below is a step by step guide on how to use router as an extender
- You first have to update firmware on the router. In case you have not been using the router for some time, you might be forced to update it first to help improve its connectivity and security.
- Thereafter, connect the Ethernet cable to the Ethernet port on the main internet router.
- Plug Ethernet cable end to the WAN port on the secondary router you are interested in using as the Wi-Fi repeater.
- Sign in to the admin settings of the secondary router using the sign in information and IP address.
- When logged in, you can now locate the wireless settings of the router and choose AP mode. This will help turn the router to access point for successful internet connection.
How to Use Router as Repeater
Setting the router in repeater mode is a great option especially when you do not have any extra Ethernet cable around.
Below is a guide on how to use the router as repeater
- Ensure you turn on the main router and it is broadcasting Wi-Fi signal
- Update the router firmware to ensure it has feature improvements and latest security
- Sign in to the admin settings of the router via the official app or web browser
- Ensure you check the router bottom for login information
- Identify the wireless settings of the router and choose repeating mode.
- Choose the Wi-Fi network that is being created by the router and connect it using password and username.
- Verify the changes
How to Use a Router to Cut a Groove
In this section, we will take you through the steps to help you use the router to cut a groove.
- Start by securing and checking the wood. Ensure you check the fence edge and ascertain it is straight and smooth.
- Thereafter, determine the feed direction. In case you will be routing the wood edge, set the fence to ensure you can move in the left to right motion that is against the clockwise rotation of the router bit.
- Select the router bit. The depth and width of the groove you will be cutting will be determined by the diameter of the cutter on the bit you select. In case you are interested in making a ¼ inch groove, you will require a cutter measuring ¼ inch in diameter.
- Avoid tear away. There are times when tear out can take place especially when the bit comes into contact with the wood and immediately it leaves the wood. Ensure you attach the scrap wood at the end of your work piece to prevent this.
How to Use a Router as an Access Point
- If you know how to use a router for wifi, then using it as an access point will not be an issue. Using router as an access point will vary depending on the models and makes of the router you will be using. However, below is a basic step by step guide on how you can use router as an access point.
- Start by covering the WAN or internet port of the secondary router using a tape. This will help in protecting you from using it by mistake later on. You have to figure out the router range IP address. You can achieve this by entering the router settings page or admin panel by the method you will be using.
- Thereafter, plug the router to the computer and head to the settings page. Make adjustments to its IP address. You can change the IP to anything that is within the IP address range you got from the primary router.
- Remain in the admin panel or settings page of the secondary router. Get the settings for DHCP function and switch it off.
There you have it. We hope you now know how to use a router bit and its ability to enhance your capability of making trims and joints without any problems. Although they always take some time to set up, they are worth the time you will save when handling your next project. Ensure you always keep the tips together with safety advice on your mind. If you intend knowing how to use a router freehand, you can always use the same steps as they are very similar.